Ten physical gestures that have been patented
It sounds crazy, but tech companies have been patenting physical gestures for almost two decades now.
In a world ruled by touchscreens, Kinect, and Guitar Hero, these businesses don’t want people making certain gestures without paying for it.
Here are 10 physical gestures that have been patented:
- Slide to unlock (Apple)
- Multi-touch gestures for touchscreen or trackpad (Apple)
- Drawing each letter of the alphabet using a single stroke of your pen (Xerox)
- Making hand gestures to move icons around on your phone (Samsung)
- Any set of personalized gestures you use to operate your Kinect (Microsoft)
- Flicking your pen at something (Microsoft)
- Shaking your mobile device (Intellectual Ventures)
- Moving 3D objects in a virtual environment (Lucent)
- Two-handed motions (GestureTek)
- Texting without lifting your fingers off the keyboard (Swype)